Comparison of spatial distribution of pharmacies in Istanbul between 1997-2022
Keywords:İstanbul, pharmacies, spatial distribution of pharmacies, comparison of the pharmacy market areas
In this study, the spatial distribution of pharmacies is investigated in Istanbul by taking into consideration their important role for the health care delivery system. First, the growth of the number of pharmacies is compared with the growth rate of population at the city level during the last two decades within perspective of changes in health care delivery policies. Then, the growth of the number of pharmacies is compared with respect to the population growth rate of the core, intermediate and peripheral zones. The second, the changes in the pharmacy market areas are compared at the city level and in the core, intermediate and peripheral zones within the same period. Third, the regression analysis is used to show the relationships between the number of pharmacies in the districts and the population, number of hospital beds and number of physicians during the same period of time. Suggestions are made for more balanced distribution of pharmacies in order to prevent bankruptcies while sufficient accessibility provided for the customers, and for future research.
- Anderson, S. (2002) The state of the World’s pharmacy: A portrait of the World’s pharmacy: A portrait of the pharmacy profession, Journal of Interprofessional care, 16, 4, 391-404.
- Dokmeci, V., & Berkoz, L. (1994) Transformation of Istanbul from a monocentric to a polycentric city, European Planning Studies 2, 2, 194-205.
- Dokmeci, V., & Ozus, E. (2004) Spatial analysis of urban pharmacies in Istanbul, European Planning Studies 12, 4, 585-594.
- Dokmeci, V., & Erdogan, N. (2021) Spatial analysis of 2000-2018 residential prices in Istanbul, KAPU-Trakya Mimarlık ve Tasarım Dergisi 1, 1, 61-77.
- Hussain, A., & Ibrahim, M.I.M. (2011) Medication counselling and dispensing practices at community pharmacies: A comparative cross-sectional study from Pakistan, International Journal of Pharmacy 33, Article number 859.
- Kamat, V.R. (1998) Pharmacies in Bombay, Social Science and Medicine, 47, 6, 779-794.
- Kaplan, R.S., & Leinhardt, S. (1975) The spatial distribution of urban pharmacies, Medical Care, 13, 37, 46.
- Kılınc, N., & Turk, S.S. (2021) Plan changes in Istanbul as Project-led practices in a plan-led planning system, European Planning Studies 29, 8, 1393-1418.
- Koramaz, T.K., & Dokmeci, V. (2020) Migration patterns in Turkey between 1995-2000: Income, employment migration and distance effects on interprovincial innovations in Urban and Regional Systems: Contributions from GIS and T., Spatial Analysis and Locational Modelling, Jean-Claude Thill (ed.) Springer.
- Mangano, A. (2010) Community pharmacies in the city area: Evidence from an Italian province, European Planning Studies 18, 3, 485-496.
- Norris, P. (1997) The state and the market: the impact of pharmacy licensing on the geographical distribution of pharmacies, Health and Place 3, 4, 259-269.
- Oruc, G.D., & Dokmeci, V. (2017) Neighborhood patterns in Istanbul: From historical form to Manhattanization, ICONARP International Journal of Architecture and Planning 5, 2, 172-197.
- Ozus, E., Akın, D., & Ciftci, M. (2012) Hierarchical cluster analysis of multi-center development and travel patterns in Istanbul, Journal of Urban Planning and Development, 138: 303-318.
- Palupi, G.S., & Fakhruzzaman (2022) Indonesian pharmacy monetary-location model and K-means algorithm, International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering 12, 6, 6132-6139.
- Rogers, A., Hassell, K., Noyce, D., & Harris, J. (1998) Advice-giving in community pharmacy: Variations between pharmacies in different location, Health and Place 4, 4, 365-373.
- Sabde, Y.D., Daiwan, V., Saraf, V.S. et al. (2011) Mapping private pharmacies and their characteristics in Ujjain district, Central India, BMC Health Service Research, 11 Article number 351.
- Terzi, F., & Kaya, H.S. (2011) Dynamic spatial analysis of urban sprawl through fractal geometry: The case of Istanbul, Environment and Planning B: Urban Analysis and City Science 38, 1 175-190.
- Turk, S.S., Tarakci, N., & Gursoy, N. (2020) A large scale urban renewal Project in a vicious cycle of commons and anti-commons: The Fikirtepe-case (Istanbul, Turkey). Habitat International 102, August.
- Ugur, A. (2017) Turkiye’de eczanelerin mekânsal analizi ve yeni yasal düzenleme, Suleyman Demirel Universitesi Fen-Edebiyat Fakultesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi 41, 177-196.
- Yazgi, B., Dokmeci, V., & Koramaz, T.K. (2014) Impact of characteristics of origin and destination provinces on migration (1995-2000), European Planning Studies 22, 6, 11821198.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Vedia Dökmeci, Hasan Mutlu, Başak Billur Mutlu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.